Thursday, December 4, 2014

Candy Canes and Hyssop

  It is said that since the candy cane, when inverted, becomes J-shaped, it is a direct representation of Jesus Christ. The white color of the candy denotes the purity of Christ while the stripes represent His sacrifice and the whipping he received at the hands of the Romans, the color red symbolizing his blood. It is believed that even the peppermint flavor of the candy is so because it is similar to hyssop which, according to the Old Testament, symbolizes purification and sacrifice.
Look at the Candy Cane
What do you see?
Stripes that are red
Like the blood shed for me
White is for my Savior
Who’s sinless and pure!
“J” is for Jesus My Lord, that’s for sure!
Turn it around
And a staff you will see
Jesus my shepherd
Was born for Me!

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Psalm 51:7


 


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful reminder of how I need to look for HIM in everything this CHRISTmas! Happy Thursday, Ms. Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I always leave your blog feeling blessed and with a renewed spirit. You are such a blessing to me.

    Smiles,

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!