Monday, January 27, 2020

Monday Morning Coffee Talk


We seem to go through our days not thinking about the 'normal' things of life.  We are so used to so many things that they become invisible. 

One of the 'normal' things for Mr D and I is going out to eat.  As I've said before, because I'm on oxygen I cook very little, oxygen and fire are not friends!!

There is a little restaurant that we like and usually go there once a week.  The waitresses recognize us and it's common for them to come by our table to say hello.  Simple greetings, simple talk, very nice but just a 'normal' thing to do.

Today we were there for a mid-afternoon meal.  I guess it would be a late lunch or early supper, whatever you call it we had a good meal.

The 'normal' greetings were made and we were enjoying our meal when one of the waitresses came over and said to me, "I'm glad to see you're okay.  You didn't come in last week and I have been worried about you."  

What a nice thing, to know someone in passing remembers you and cares for you.

It just touched my heart.

💗   💗   💗

Another Saturday, Another GLOW Day!
This week we celebrated our five year anniversary.


Our dear Sister Zee wrote this, I couldn't have said it better.

I love this group of Sisterfriends that God put together 5 years. Our first lunch was at El Toro La Porte and every year we return there like a bunch of homing pigeons. LOL We evolved in to G L O W because God Loves Older Women. We have such fun, laughter, good food, sharing God's word, prayer & praise reports, more laughter and chatter always spending several hours at the table. Thank you God for blessing me with such a wonderful circle of sisters! And to top it off this isn't even all of us. We have some that due to illness are not able to attend and we have some that due to the miles away they aren't able to attend but all are loved.

I had the stuffed avocado, oh my, it was good.

Large avocado stuffed with a choice of shrimp
beef or chicken fajita, with Monterrey Jack
cheese, rolled in seasoned bread crumbs.
Served with rice and refried beans.

Still a few days left in this first month of the new year and still time for some new year trivia.

Times Square:

The first rooftop celebration atop One Times Square, a fireworks display, took place in 1904 and was produced by the New York Times to inaugurate their new headquarters in Times Square and celebrate the renaming of Longacre Square to Times Square.

The first ball dropping celebration atop One Times Square was held on December 31, 1907.

In 1942 and 1943, the ball lowering was suspended due to the wartime dimout. The crowds who still gathered in Times Square celebrated with a minute of silence followed by chimes ringing out from an amplifier truck parked at One Times Square.



The original New Year's Eve Ball weighed 700 pounds and was five feet in diameter. It was made of iron and wood and was decorated with 100 25-watt light bulbs.

November 11, 2008 - A "new" New Years Eve ball is introduced. The ball is a geodesic sphere, 12 feet in diameter and weighing 11,875 pounds. It is built to withstand high winds and fluctuating temperatures. Waterford Crystal introduces a different pattern for each New Year's celebration.

Hope the Lord gives you happy and blessed days.

Until Next Time

6 comments:

  1. That's so sweet she was thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lived in Baytown, TX for a year back in the 70's and I remember El Toro! Their menu has expanded, though. A stuffed avocado wasn't available then, but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a big new El Toro now, with a big new menu!! We were at the El Toro in La Porte, they're building a new one here too. Should be open in late spring. New building, new menu and big new prices I'm sure! lol

      Delete
  3. Your GLOW group is just wonderful! It is nice to be recognized and have someone be concerned for you!! I am sure it is because you two are so sweet to them. We are trying to not go out as often as we were. Not always successful, but I am doing more cooking these days.l

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting information about the Ball drop...I had no idea all those facts!! I love seeing your GLOW group together. I miss my little group that we had before we moved. I want to get something like that here going...there are groups, but just haven't found what is right for me just yet. How wonderful to be thought of and missed by your waitress. That is really sweet and special. It also shows that you have caught their attention by your sweet spirit. Thank you for sharing this with us. Very special indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Valentine's graphics in here. I also like the name GLOW. I think it is nice that you an get together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!