Monday, January 12, 2015

This Month in History

1849
Elizabeth Blackwell graduates from medical school in New York, becoming the first female doctor in the U.S.
 

1870
As a cartoonist for Harper's Weekly magazine, Thomas Nast is the first to use a donkey to symbolize the Democratic Party.  A few years later, he would use an elephant to represent the Republican Party.
 
*1952
The "Today Show" premieres on NBC with hosts Dave Garroway and Jack Lescoulie.

1987
Singer Aretha Franklin, known as the Queen of Soul, is the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
 
 
 *FYI Memo:
I was only 7 years old when the Today Show came on the air.  My momma had it on every morning as I was getting ready for school.  Even at that young age I loved the show because of ......

J. Fred Muggs
Mr. Muggs was on the show every morning.  It was fun watching his antics and interactions with the host, Dave Garraway.

 
I loved this little chimp and haven't thought about him in years.

Until Next Time
I love trivia, don't you?

 

5 comments:

  1. What a happy memory for you, Ms. Mary! Thanks for sharing! HOPE you have a great Monday ...we've got rain here in Tennessee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh , my goodness, I'd forgotten all about J. Fred Muggs! My baby brother, now almost old enough for SS, had one of the toy J.Freds - he LOVED that monkey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an eye-opening quote at the top! (Elizabeth Blackwell on education)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!