Tuesday, May 26, 2015

God Whispers

God whispers sometimes, so move closer!

Not long ago I heard a story about a young man and an old preacher.  The young man had lost his job and didn't know which way to turn.  So he went to see the old preacher.

Pacing about the preacher's study, the young man ranted about his problem.  Finally he clenched his fist and shouted, "I've begged God to say something to help me, preacher, why doesn't God answer?"
The old preacher, who sat across the room, spoke something in reply, something so hushed it was indistinguishable.  The young man stepped across the room.  "What did you say?" he asked.  The preacher repeated himself, but again in a tone as soft as a whisper.  So the young man moved closer until he was leaning on the preacher's chair.

"Sorry," he said, "I still didn't hear you."  With their heads bent together, the old preacher spoke once more.  "God sometimes whispers," he said, "So we will move closed to hear him."  This time the young man heard and he understood.

We all want God's voice to thunder through the air with the answer to our problem.  But God's is the still, small voice...the gentle whisper.

Perhaps there's a reason....Nothing draws human focus quite like a whisper.  God's whisper means I must stop my ranting and move close to Him, until my head is bent together with His.

And then, as I listen, I will find my answer.  Better still, I find myself closer to God.
 
 
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.
James 4:8a
 
Until Next Time
shhhh...I'm listening for His whispers!
 


7 comments:

  1. Oh, my word....is this ever a confirmation of what God spoke to me about 3:00 this morning. I couldn't sleep so I got up and the word He had me ponder on was "quiet". "Be still and know" kept coming into my mind and I did some research on the word "quiet"...."live a quiet life"...."a sensible person keeps quiet". Thank you so much for heeding the Holy Spirit and posting it. HOPE you have an awesome day, my Friend! I shall be quiet now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! (sorry for shouting, smiles)--When I embarked on this journey of going back to school last year, there have been plenty of times of hushed whispering...and "what" from me. Sometimes, one just has to be quiet and get ones mind untangled. Thank you Mary, beautiful post. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this story Miss Mary. Sometimes we just don't become quiet enough to hear His still small voice do we. And yes...sometimes...most oftentimes for me...He does indeed whisper! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story. I need to take more quiet time and listen more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the story. I also need to be patience to God. He will reply for all our problems...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!