Thursday, March 7, 2019

Ash Wednesday, the Beginning of Lent


The time of Lent developed as part of the historical Christian calendar and is typically celebrated by Catholics and some mainline Protestant churches that follow a liturgical calendar. Although its format has varied throughout the centuries and throughout different cultures, the basic concept remains the same: to open our hearts to God's refining grace through prayer, confession, fasting, and almsgiving as we anticipate Holy Week.


As I'm sure you know, yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent that leads us to Easter.  A very holy day.

Lent is a season of forty days, not counting Sundays, which begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday. Lent comes from the Anglo Saxon word lencten, which means "spring.".  

 "Some people think that having ash on your forehead is ridiculous. But I am neither ashamed nor afraid because the ashes remind me that I have to someday pass away and reunite with my creator." — Walter Buns

The forty days represents the time Jesus spent in the wilderness, enduring the temptation of Satan and preparing to begin his ministry.

"Fasting confirms our utter dependence upon God by finding in Him a source of sustenance beyond food." — Dallas Willard

"Even Jesus who is the Lord of Lords and the king of kings fasted and prayed in the desert for 40 days and 40 nights. How much more we need to do the same with all our sinfulness and baggage." — Tamara Lan


Lent is a time where we are supposed to focus on our own personal relationship with God, developing our mental, personal, and spiritual health—so that we can make more room for God in our every day lives. 


A Call to Repentance
Joel 2:12-13

“Now, therefore,” says the Lord,
“Turn to Me with all your heart,
With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.”

So rend your heart, and not your garments;
Return to the Lord your God,
For He is gracious and merciful,
Slow to anger, and of great kindness;
And He relents from doing harm.

Until Next Time

<*})><

10 comments:

  1. Our Ash Wednesday service was interesting because it was the first time Redeemer Presbyterian celebrated it. Joe and I, being former Catholics, were very used to having ashes on our foreheads and felt no "shame" for spending part of our day with an obvious declaration that we are Christ followers preparing for Easter. A group from our new church gathered for dinner out after the service (too late for us and we had already eaten) so they could be in public with the ashes. I was proud of them. Baby steps!! Thanks for posting about this most Holy time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good they did that, it's a testimony of love for the Lord.

      Delete
  2. I think it Is good for all believers to observe Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like that quote from Walter Buns. So well said.
    Have a blessed Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was actually my first time attending an Ash Wednesday service and receiving the ashes. Our service was also at 6:30 P.M., and so there really wasn't any time to wear them all day. But the service was very meaningful to me and I am taking this Lent season seriously as I seek the Lord's face in every facet of what is going on around us...and asking Him what He would have me to do. I pray it will be a time of sweet communion and enrichment from the Lord. Thank you for sharing this information with everyone. I believe as the days draw near, we as Christians need to be united more and more in our faith and stand strong together, regardless of denomination. If we are looking forward to the return of Christ, we need to be encouraging one another all the more as the days go by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a member of the Episcopal Church, we did this. Sadly I don't actively observe Lent (giving up something or the like) but I am so aware of Jesus' sacrifice for us. I remember as a teen, going to Maundy Thursday service (the Thursday before Easter) when they would strip the altar. It looked so bleak. Then on Good Fridy service the crucifix on the wall over the altar was draped in a black gauze. But Easter morning, every thing was bright and cheerful with Easter lilies all over the place. It was a new beginning. It really made an impression on me, even before I accepted the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, I am just finding this today (Friday) but I want to thank you for sharing about Lent's origin and how it is to be observed. I read the other day that the fasting was to be of meat back when it originally started. To me, the important thing is what you have pointed out here...it is a season to draw closer to our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey everyone!
    Today I come to you with so much excitement!
    I have been married & barren for 5years i had no child. i have never been pregnant i was a subject of laughter from my Friends & neighbors, i almost lost my marriage because of this issue . i was so confused that i did not know what to do until i came across this great Dr Ahmed online and i contacted him at once i was scared weather it was going to work because i never believed things like this before, so i decided to give it a try and i did all what Dr Ahmed asked of me and today to my greatest surprise i took in the first time and i gave birth to a bouncing baby boy and now my marriage that was about crashing before is now restored. my husband now love and want me better, Am so happy for everything that have been happening my life since i met this Dr Ahmed.
    I want to tell all the women out there who have a similar situation like that the world is not over YET they should dry up their tears and contact this great man and their problem will be gone or are you also having other problems you can also contact Dr Ahmed, here is how you can contact him Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or Contact him via his whats-app number +2348160153829.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!