Monday, September 7, 2020

Cowboy Caviar
Oh So Good

We went to Merica's third birthday party on Saturday.  Maegan had enough food to feed an army!!  (well almost!)  Barbecue ribs, chopped brisket, baked beans, veggie tray, chips, salsa and cowboy caviar.  It was wonderful.


Recipe:

1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (15.5 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
1 tomato, diced
2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed 
½ medium onion, chopped
¼ green bell pepper, finely chopped
½ cup chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
½ teaspoon garlic salt
1 cup Italian salad dressing
¾ cup chopped cilantro


Mix beans, peas, tomatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno peppers in a large bowl. Season with garlic salt. Add dressing and cilantro; toss to coat. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until ready to serve.

Make ahead: 
If you’re cooking ahead of time, a few of the vegetables might soften a bit in the dressing, but the beans can be dressed ahead of time without a problem. One day in advance should be fine.

Storage:
 This recipe keeps about 3-4 days in the refrigerator. It doesn’t freeze well.
Leftovers: Enjoy the leftovers inside an omelet, spooned over a grilled steak, or tossed with fresh greens for a quick lunch.

Here are some pictures from Merica's party.  She wouldn't let her Momma read her cards because she informed us all she could read them by herself.  So she did, every card she opened she read, Happy Birthday to me!





Until Next Time
Hope your days are happy and blessed.


7 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of beans of any kind but I do like that Cowboy Caviar. Looks like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a happy little Birthday Girl! Happy Birthday, Merica! I can't believe she is 3 already! I remember when she was born! Time sure flies! That cowboy caviar sounds really good. I don't know if anyone here would eat it though. I would. Maybe I will try it when we have a potluck at church again, whenever that might be...still not allowed to do that. I love that Merica "read" all her cards, and they all said the same thing! How cool is that? LOL. Love it. I hope they will save them for her to read someday for real! Have a blessed day and week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe looks like she had a wonderful birthday and my mercy the food sounds so yummy! Marty and I are spending Labor Day without the kiddos today and I am not LABORING over anything! LOL! Grilled steaks coming up soon. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merica sounds like quite the little live=wire! Happy Birthday to her.

    Cowboy Caviar sounds delicious but I would have to leave out the cilantro. Neither of us is a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merica's 'reading' her cards sounds adorable! I've heard of Cowboy Caviar and thought about making it -- but my hubby would just as soon starve before swallowing a black-eyed pea. (Picky Chicago boy doesn't know what's good.) Hopefully someone will make it around the holidays so I can try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course all the cards said Happy Birthday, Merica!! How cute!! That Cowboy Caviar sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe! I can't believe that little cutie is THREE already! I remember when she was born... seems like last month!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!