Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Bethlehem and Bethlehem

You learn something new everyday, I don't care how old you are!
๐Ÿ‘ต  ๐Ÿ‘ต  ๐Ÿ‘ต

I am a subscriber of Dr. Ed Hindson's
 The Prophetic Newsletter.
There is always an interesting article to enjoy.  I especially like the Q&A page.  This month someone asked about Bethlehem allotted to the tribe of Zebulun.  What???  I thought Bethlehem belonged to the tribe of Judah!

Seems like there are two Bethlehems.  In all my years I've never known this, where have I been? 

Here is the answer that Dr. Hindson provided. . . 

Bethlehem of Zebulun or Bethlehem of Judah. . . this seeming contradiction lies in the fact that there are TWO (emphasis mine) cities in the Bible called Bethlehem.  the one mentioned in the Book of Joshua was indeed allotted to the tribe of Zebulun and was much less historically significant than the other.  It was located about seven miles northwest of Nazareth.

The better-known Bethlehem, belonging to Judah, was also called Ephrath.  To distinguish it from the more northern city of the same name, it is sometimes called Bethlehem-Judah or Bethlehem-Ephrath.  It is five miles south of Jerusalem.  It is this city that was the home town of King David and the birthplace of Jesus, as prophesied in Scripture.

 The Bethlehem mentioned Joshua 19:15 is the Bethlehem of Zebulun.
In Micah 5:2 you will find
Bethlehem-Ephrathah/Bethlehem-Judah mentioned.

I thought they were one in the same.
 I guess I thought wrong.
๐Ÿ˜  ๐Ÿ˜  ๐Ÿ˜

Anyway, hard-headed as I am I went to my trusty little atlas that has lived in my Bible for over 20 years.  It's small and I love it.
Yes it's worn and dirty....I didn't realize how dirty until I took the picture.  I'm sharing with you anyway...notice the coffee spot.  Yep, I drink a lot of coffee when I study my Bible.


So, here we have the page that the index says will show both Bethlehems.  Well, I only see one, that's Bethlehem-Judah.  The other Bethlehem is supposed to be 7 miles NW of Nazareth, I don't see it.  

It's not that important but I like to visualize and go to my little atlas often when studying my Bible.

I'm very curious, if you've known about the two Bethlehems please let me know in the comments.  I confess I am very surprised, very interested and very blessed I now know a little more of what's in God's Word.

I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas!  For those of you on facebook that shared your pictures, I loved them all.

Until Next Time

God has a plan ~ He is in control ~ and,
He has won the fight against evil.





11 comments:

  1. How confusing to have two Bethlehems. I certainly had never heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very interesting!! Thanks for that lesson and I'm glad you had the atlas to share with us!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope I have never heard a preacher talk about two Bethlehem's in all my years!
    But that doesn't mean there aren't two, maybe the other one is so small they didn't put it on the map.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, didnt know about the two Bethlehems,and I love learning. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were just discussing something similar (and Yes, I knew this). Hubby is having a fit over the Mainstream news and their bias reporting on Israel. A lot of folks including former President Carter fully support Palestine. Oh, that's another subject. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to be ugly, but I think President Carter has lost his noodle! Mainstream media better watch out because God has His eye on Israel...He who keeps Israel neither slumbers or sleeps. Ps. 121:4

      Delete
  6. Yes, I did know there are two Bethlehems, but I had kind of forgotten it. I thought I had every kind of Bible study book, but I don't have an atlas. I've always looked at the maps in my Bible. I love that you check things out in your Bible ... you're a real Berean. Your first photo with the headline about evangelicals turning against Israel is quite disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of the Atlas Mary and I too confess I hadn't realized it was two different Bethlehem's. I'll have to do more studying. I too drink coffee when I read, well...I drink coffee all day long. :) Have a happy and blessed new year holiday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is sure news to me too, Mary! I'll have to look into this. I do enjoy Ed Hindson's teachings. I hope you have a blessed and wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well sir...I don't think I have heard this Miss Mary. Maybe I have and my old mind has forgot! I am going to ask our Pastor about this. I appreciate you sharing. Happy New Year to you and yours Miss Mary. I am still celebrating that our granddaughter Kyleigh accepted Christ on CHRISTmas night!!! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy for your sweet Kyleigh! Amen and Amen!!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment!