Tuesday, January 16, 2018

White Lightening

Well in North Carolina way back in the hills me and my old pappy and he had him a still
He brewed white lightnin till the sun went down
Then he'd fill him up a jug and he'd pass it around
Mighty mighty pleasin my pappy's corn squeezin (whew white lightnin)
Well the G men T men revenoers too searchin for the place where he made his brew
They were lookin tryin' to book him but my pappy kept on cookin
(Whew white lightning)


We received a gift of moonshine syrup for Christmas.

I have been so hesitant to try it, thinking it would smell and taste of White Lightening  aka moonshine!!

We had biscuits for breakfast this morning and I thought of that syrup still sitting in the cabinet.  I thought to myself, now someone was nice enough to give this as a gift, the least you can do is give it a try.

I was so pleasantly surprised!  The closest I can compare it too is Karo Syrup.  It has the same thick texture and very sweet taste.  There was not a hint of moonshine. . . I think I was a little disappointed!


Well I asked my old pappy why he called his brew
White lightnin stead of mountain dew
I took a little sip and right away I knew
As my eyes bugged out and my face turned blue
Lightnin' started flashin thunder started clashin' (whew white lightnin)
Well the G men T men revenoers too searchin for the place where he made his brew

They were lookin tryin' to book him but my pappy kept on cookin
(whew white lightning)

Well a city slicker came and he said I'm tough
I think I want to taste that powerful stuff
He took one slug and he drank it right down I heard him moanin' as he hit the ground



Click HERE to hear George Jones and White Lightening!

KJIC




14 comments:

  1. Good ole George Jones song. I would have hesitated also on trying it. kind of looks like Karo Syrup too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love(d) hearing old songs like White Lightening growing up. George Jones was extremely popular in my neck of the woods back then. I'm glad the syrup proved to be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that song!! That syrup looks more like sorghum syrup or Soggum as we said in our neck of the woods.:) I bet it is good on a hot biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moonshine syrup! Kinda like pouring beer on your cereal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was fun!Looks like Karo to me as well. Bet it was nice on biscuits!
    Have a great Tueday Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL.... I love that old song and sure wondered where this blog was headed when I started reading it! My dad had a source for some real white lightening and would now and then come home from hunting in the southern hills of Ohio with a jar of that stuff. Yes, I was allowed to taste it. WOW!! The name says it all! Glad your syrup was more mild and didn't bring tears to your eyes! Very cute, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I have laughed Miss Mary! I thought at first, Oh dear Lord, she is fixing to take up drinking! LOL! Just teasing. Love the cute post. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I have that song running through my head.
    From the list of ingredients I would think the syrup is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny! I think I would have been a bit disappointed, as well!

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember that song! I'm glad you enjoyed the syrup. Yes, I might have been a bit disappointed as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is hilarious!! I am playing catch up here since I've been a little out of it this week...and when I saw this I thought I'd really missed out on some BIG NEWS!! LOL!! Love the song...and that syrup really had us all going!! Sorry it didn't quite live up to it's name, but glad also that you didn't get soused on your biscuits... LOL. So funny. Thanks for the laugh today!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!