Thursday, February 20, 2020

Thankful Thursday

I am so blessed to have a baby brother who calls to check on me!  It was so good talking with him this morning, catching up on what's going on in our life.

He just lives a few hours away but it's still hard to see him often.  The older we get the longer those miles seem.  

Of course, baby brother is now a man and has been for many years.  He's a gruff sort of guy, but has a heart of gold. 

He went to Viet Nam a happy go-lucky young man and came home a gruff old man.

(I don't think Wayne was ready, Me D was too quick on the trigger. 😁)

Life hasn't always been good to him.  When he served in Viet Nam he saw horrendous things, he's overcome cancer, he's survived a brain aneurysm that almost took his life, as a child he fell through a glass window pane and it almost severed his arm, it took surgery to attach it again, and he lost his wife and son within a year of each other.

And he still keeps walking and talking and sometimes you can get a smile.

He is a dedicated lover of animals, taking in stray dogs and giving them a good home. He lives on ten acres and has plenty of room to supply their needs.  And he raises rabbits for FHA students.

I've tried several times to get him to go on facebook, it would be a great way for us to communicate, but that's a "bah-humbug" subject to him.  Nope, no facebook for that guy.

We're the only siblings left, our older brothers and our parents now live with the Lord.  I think that makes our relationship even more special.

There's going to be a wonderful reunion someday. . .

. . . But in the meantime,


Linking with Rebecca Jo at Knit By God's Hand

. . .  For . . .


Until Next Time



13 comments:

  1. Yes, it will indeed be a wonderful reunion! My brother and I are the only ones left too. Glad you were able to see each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful for your brother's service to our country! I enjoyed your post and I joined Thankful Thursday too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you have your brother to visit with as often as you can. That is priceless. I wouldn't blame him a bit for being a bit "gruff". Sounds like he's had a lot of heartache in his life and just wants some "peace"...hence living on 10 acres and staying away from too much strife...I'd say keep him away from Facebook. I know, it's a good way to stay in touch with those we love, but there is so much negativity on there too that may not be good for him. It's hard to avoid it sometimes...it comes from such unexpected sources. so, I'd say call him, email, and visit when you are able, and be thankful for that communication. I know you are. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am thankful...((hugs)) back to you Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds fantastic-honorable man
    I agree about Facebook-not safe and if someone wants to connect text or call. Thank him for serving-heroes in Vietnam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you still have your little brother. I am sorry for what he and so many young men (and women) had to endure in Vietnam. So many came home so different. God bless him!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your brother has had quite a difficult life. I'm glad he has you ( and you have him). I think the both of you have a wonderful relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post. Wow, your brother went thru a lot. Glad you have each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta love them siblings! They are by blood bonded to us!
    http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com
    IG @wonky.pots

    ReplyDelete
  10. My brother is the same way with Facebook - refuses. So family all communicate through me to relay messages to him on FB :) LOL
    Nothing like a sibling.
    God bless him for his service in the military

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww...beautiful my friend...my one brother and I use to be close...things happened and we no longer are...it breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word -- what challenges your brother has overcome! Not the least of which, his service in Nam. The abysmal way in which our returning vets were treated breaks my heart. Please thank him for me for his service … also, his rescuing all those sweet animals!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!