Monday, July 20, 2020

Monday Morning Coffee Chat



What a way to start a new week!


A tropical wave currently located north of the Greater Antilles will move WNW and enter the SE Gulf of Mexico Tuesday, central Gulf Wednesday and NW Gulf Thursday. Some slight development of this feature is possible over the Gulf of Mexico between Wednesday and Friday as it moves generally toward the Texas coast.

We'll be paying close attention to this all week.  Right now there is a very low percentage it will develop into a hurricane, which is good news.  Bad news is it doesn't take much rain for this area to flood.

We had a very quiet weekend at home.  Even Sunday lunch was a simple affair.  Tuna sandwiches, cottage cheese, gumbo soup, and sliced cantaloupe.  Gumbo soup from a Campbell's can!!  It's not really gumbo, I would say it's spiced vegetable soup with sausage and rice.  Still it was good, a nice lunch that was enjoyed.

Mr D and I have enjoyed some old black and white movies. Saturday morning I watched The Snake Pit with Olivia DeHaviland. Made in 1948 about a woman who finds herself in an insane asylum and cannot remember how she got there. very intense movie. 

Together we watched Bad Day at Black Rock with Spencer Tracey, made in 1955. The film tells the story of a mysterious stranger who arrives at a tiny isolated town in a desert of the southwest United States in search of a man and is met with hostility. 

We also watched Marty with Erneast Borgnine, made in 1955. Marty Piletti ( Ernest Borgnine) is an Italian American butcher who lives in The Bronx with his mother. Unmarried at 34, the good-natured but socially awkward Marty faces constant badgering from family and friends to settle down, pointing out that all his brothers and sisters are already married with children. 

 AND one more, one of Mr D's favorites, The Grapes of Wrath with Henry Fonda. Made in 1940, the Joad clan, introduced to the world in John Steinbeck's iconic novel, is looking for a better life in California. After their drought-ridden farm is seized by the bank, the family -- led by just-paroled son Tom -- loads up a truck and heads West.  This was a sad movie to me, so much heartache and suffering.

We watched all these movies without the help of popcorn!!

Enough rambling for today.
Hope all is well with you and your family.

Until Next Time





12 comments:

  1. We enjoy old movies too. My husband recently found a channel in our area that shows only old movies and we have been watching that quite a bit. I hope that weather system doesn't develop into anything serious for you. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray you won't have severe weather or rain. All of these movies sound wonderful. With the uptick in the virus, we are staying in more than ever. I am watching a lot of old shows on youtube. Have a blessed afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck, with this storm, not becoming a danger!!!!!!!!! I'm sure you will be "glued" to the Weather Ch.

    Did you watch those old movies, on Turner Classic Movies Ch.?

    I do like old film! I especially like the background information, given before and sometimes after, the films, on this Ch.

    But actually, I think the ones you watched, would be too sad for me. Yes, I'm a wimp! lol

    I watched a couple of old Ginger Rogers films, the other day. Not amazing. But silly fun. And oh how beautiful she was. Even without gorgeous gowns, like in her films with Fred Astaire. ~smile~

    πŸ’šπŸŒΏπŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was TCM and we love the commentaries they share. Always find what they have to say interesting.

      Delete
  4. We used to watch a lot of TCM movies when we lioved in France. Now in UK we can't get the channel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watch a lot of TCM too, sad you can't get that channel in the UK.

      Delete
  5. Mary, your weekend sounds so relaxing (and delicious!). I love old movies. I haven't seen a few that you mentioned but I will add them to my list! Hope you are enduring this heat. Very hot here up north. Hoping for rain on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Marty Piletti"

    I have to look it up now! I just have to know if he found true love. Made in 1955? Probably a happy conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't watch the Grapes of Wrath, so sad. I really enjoy old movies too. I hope you have a beautiful week, Mary...hey, I will have to look for that soup, grin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old movies are just the best! I want to look for Marty. Joe's dad was an Italian butcher so it might be fun to watch with him. I don't usually cook on Sundays anymore. Kinda nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that weather system didn't develop into anything serious and that you didn't get a lot of rain.
    Watching old B&W movies could be a lot of fun. I don't think I've seen a single one that you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you got to enjoy a lot of good classics. I think Olivia De Havilland just celebrated her birthday.104 I think. I loved her in Gone With The Wind. I am working on my art projects and reading Redeeming Love. I hope that hurricane does not go your way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!