Monday, July 15, 2024

Monday Coffee Talk

 Where in the world do the days go, you blink your eyes and a week or two has gone by.  Is that because I'm retired?  If I remember correctly when I worked the weekdays dragged and the weekends sped by.

Anyways, It's Monday, come on in and have a cup of coffee or hot tea or whatever your pleasure.

We did make it to Jason and Hannah's engagement party a few Mondays ago and enjoyed it so much.  It was great to see family and some old friends.   After a while of visiting and eating most of the young adults headed outside to the pool.  Mr D and I stayed in where it was cool, I didn't want to take a chance of falling.  I was still on a walker and maneuvering around so many people is awkward.

We made some more precious memories♥

I had my appointment with the surgeon and good news! He told me I could trade the walker for a cane.  That was exciting, but I've found using a cane properly isn't as easy as one would think. Fact is I've tripped a couple of times, but I didn't fall - needless to say I put the cane up for a while.  I've been doing okay walking on my own as long as there is something nearby for me to hold on to. It's been 3 1/2  months since my surgery and most of the soreness is gone, I do have some minimal pain if I move in a certain way, The doctor told me right after surgery it would take 4 to 6 months for complete healing, looking like he's going to be right!!

 Today's Weather:

God reigns and the Son shines!,

Family News:

The twins had a birthday June 28th, talk about the days passing quickly, the years do too. 

Just a few days ago . . . ☺

And now this . . . much too fast for this granny.

Jason and Cody with their dad and older brother!  

Tea Time:

This is the best tea!


Cinnamon Spice from The Tea Spot.   They have several flavors that I would like to try.  My problem is I don't drink a lot of hot tea, one package will last me a while.

Fun Bible Fact:

 Paul preached so long that Eutychus was overcome with sleep and fell from a third story window! 

(Acts 20:9).

Walking With Russ:

On Rusty's walk the other day he passed by the old train depot.  At one time it was on Main Street, the train would bring people from Houston to La Porte where they would visit Sylvan Beach.  The Heritage Society moved it closer to Sylvan Beach and did some restoration on the old building.  It's now a small museum operated by the Heritage Society.



Today's Quote:

From George Washington and appropriate for today's political realm.

The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of                                                  order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.                                            Inaugural Address 1789

Hurricane Beryl:

She came and blew us around, now she's gone, and we have a big mess.  Lots of trees and fences down throughout our little town.  Unfortunately, some trees fell on homes, my heart hurts for the families that got so much damage.  I'm writing this on July 12th, as of today much of the area is still without power, the heat is terrible.  The city has opened 2 cooling centers for those who want to go and cool off.  I am thanking the Good Lord, we were without power for only 10 hours.  We lost a lot of shingles from the roof and feel a new roof will be necessary, we're waiting on the insurance adjuster to see what he says.  Can you believe the storm ripped the gate from our fence and left the fence standing, the hinge was crumpled like a piece of aluminum foil. 



Two trees went down across the street but fell in such a way no house were damaged.

Today's Scripture: 

Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, the power and the glory, the victory and the majesty; For all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and You are exalted as head over all.

1 Chronicles 29:11

Amen

Ob La Di Ob La Da – Life goes on!

Until Next Time



18 comments:

  1. It is rare for the UK to suffer storms and hurricanes. It must have been very frightening for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurricanes are very scary. For the really bad ones we leave the area. Hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear good news Miss Mary. May you continue to heal day by day. Enjoyed all the pictures and your lovely post. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((hugs)) and blessings back to you Cindy! ☺♥

      Delete
  3. Hi Mary. So glad to hear you guys are okay and I hope your insurance will cover everything for you. Yes, hubby has been on a cane for a couple years now, and it's definitely not always easy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful to know that you and your home were okay in the storm, and I trust your family was all okay too? I know it is so hard to see others suffer and especially to be without power for so long in that heat! That is definitely not good, and I pray for those affected. I also pray your insurance company will take care of the new roof for you, but do you have a huge deductible because it was during a hurricane? Here in Florida there is a big deductible for hurricane damage, which is too bad because that is usually what causes the most damage here in Florida. We are praying no bad storms will come our way this season. I am watching a thunderstorm skirt around us right now...lightning and thunder but I still don't see the rain. That happens a lot...we NEED the rain, not the lightning and thunder! LOL. So glad you are getting around better now without a walker and cane. Praise God for His continued healing. Love the photos of the old train depot. That's something I love to see. And I hope you enjoy your hot tea...that looks like a good one for fall! Enjoy a cup for me! It's good to get caught up with you and I am thankful you are doing so well. God is Good, all the time! God is good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you get the much needed rain. Our regular home owners insurance doesn't cover wind damage, we have to have a separate policy, Texas Windstorm Insurance. I believe the deductible is a percentage of the claim, I don't know what it's going to be. Even if it's high it will be cheaper than a new roof, I HOPE!

      Delete
  5. Hi Mary, I had such a nice time visiting your blog today. The new background is so pretty. Glad you had a nice time with your family. Glad you are on the mend too! I am going to physical therapy for my upper and lower back issues. I enjoyed the Bible verses and quote too. I hope your insurance works out for you! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy you didn't lose more in the storm. Thank God but sorry you had any damage at all.. I know there were no shortage of prayers for you. Lovely photos of the family and the train station!!! Love that one a lot. A cane can be in the way especially if you use it with your non dominant hand. (I use one for years now.) Sometimes the one with the 3 legs on the bottom is more stable. I have always thought an old train station would make a wonderful restaurant. Enjoy your tea and I will be praying for you in regard to using the came and walker. I think walkers are so much safer and easier. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers! I think an old RR station would be a great restaurant too, ours is much too little for one. But, the depot could be the entrance and someone could add on a big enough space for one. It would be so charming, lot's of character too. It's fun to think about.

      Delete
  7. I'm am so sorry you had so much damage from Beryl and were without power for 10 hours! Nice to have the family gathering and that you were up for it!! God is good!! I'll just mention something because I have a friend who has found that a walking stick is working well for her instead of a cane. She feels like it gives her more balance control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, I've been looking at walking sticks, I can see one in my near future.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry for the damage Beryl caused you but I'm thankful that you're okay. The thought of a storm of that magnitude really scares me.
    I think I would have trouble using a cane. I trip over my own feet so using a cane would be doubly hazardous. Those twin grandsons were ( and still are) very handsome.
    Thank you for that verse from 1 Chronicles. It caused my heart to lift up in praise to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I fell in the first place, tripped over my own feet, what do you do for that? My motto now, Slow and Easy. ☺

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your doc's "thumb's up"! I'm glad you're still being careful and taking things slowly. When, several years ago, I tripped and fell on the concrete sidewalk someone commented, "Bones don't bounce."
    Your grandsons sure grew into handsome young men, didn't they? Like my DIL is fond of saying, "Time is a thief."
    The images of Beryl's aftermath are sobering. Praise God, y'all were spared catastrophic damage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES, we're praising God for so many things!! I like/agree with your DIL's saying, it's so true! ☺♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!