Tuesday, December 18, 2018

A Bird's Nest and Tuesday 4

According to an old German folk legend, bird nest ornaments are symbols of home.  
Source: Getty Images
They represent the love, commitment, and effort it takes to build a happy home. Bird nests are also good-luck symbols. Legend has it that prosperity will come to any home that finds a bird's nest nestled among the branches of the family Christmas tree.

Source: CountryLiving.com

I don't believe in good-luck symbols, I believe many people mistake a blessing as good luck!!
Still, a bird nest in a tree just looks natural to me. Afterall, that's where a bird nest belongs.

Christmas Day is just a week away.  It got here so fast, I'm not ready to see it go.



Linking With Toni for Tuesday 4 Meme




1. Do you drive through your neighborhood to look at other people's holiday decorations?

We sure do, Mr D and I love Christmas lights and love to drive around at night looking at everyone's decorations.

2. Are you counting the days to Christmas with excited anticipation or dread?

Neither really, I do love Christmas but at this point in my life it's not as exciting as it once was.  I enjoy Christmas, I certainly don't dread it,  it's a wonderful time of year.


3. When was the last time you had a photo taken with Santa?

We had a Santa in the bank lobby one year and I had a picture taken with him.  That's been some years ago, I retired in 1996.


4. Do you make a Christmas list for your family or friends?
We don't exchange gifts anymore, so no, I don't make a list.  We do buy gifts for the great grandkids and a list is not needed.


Thank you Toni for hosting this fun meme!


Until Next Time




13 comments:

  1. I hate to see Christmas come and go so fast. It is a wonderful time of the year and time to reflect on the birth of our Savior. I suppose the last picture I had made with Santa was over many years ago when I was a child. We buy for our grands a little something for the toe of their stocking, but other than that, no gift buying here. Wishing for a dusting of snow to make it feel more Christmasy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that the years are going by really fast now...sigh...I hope you have a lovely Christmas, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since my husband is half German, I found that interesting about the bird's nest. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bird ornament makes me want to go out and buy one...not because of the legend, but just because of how pretty it looks nestled in the tree branches.

    We enjoy driving around our area to see the Christmas lights also. I will always love Christmas but I think each year brings a new dimension to it all. I do miss the "excitement" from the years that our kiddos were young. The last 20 years it was special because we could do things to make Christmas special for our parents. Now that they are in Heaven and our kiddos live a distance from us we will enjoy a nice quiet day here at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love looking at Christmas lights. Hubby and I have been taking his parents out the past few Friday nights to see different light displays in our area. We plan to go out again this Friday. Your picture of the birds new in your tree is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the meme as well. I love Christmas lights and seeing them all over in the winter. I especially love when people leave them up well into January, it just brightens up the winter so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a birdhouse ornament but have never had a nest in the tree. Something new to look for!! We don't exchange gifts anymore either and I agree that the "magic" is gone when the little ones grow up. BUT, we still love the reason for the season and enjoy celebrating the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I'd love to see that pix of you and Santa, Mary. What a great idea for adults to have an opportunity to pose like that!

    I'm of German descent, but had never heard of that lovely legend. I may put that on my list of Christmas-related things to look for after the holidays when everything goes on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you on #2 Mary. Enjoyed your answers. I love seeing the lights when I pass the homes in our area. Love the bird in the nest ornament too. Thank you for joining in my friend. Have a blessed day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom told me about that bird nest tradition, so I have one in my tree too! So cute!
    I love looking at Christmas lights too and I do not use a list anymore either. Loved your answers! Happy Tuesday!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know bird's nest ornaments were a symbol of home. I don't have any ornaments like that but I do have quite a collection of bird nests that I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the bird nest ornament Miss Mary. I too know that LUCK has nothing to do with anything. BLESSED, BLESSED and BLESSED! I will join in on the fun post today.
    1. Do you drive through your neighborhood to look at other people's holiday decorations?
    Well, we live out in the country so not a whole lot of outside decor going on. LOL! But our small town has lots of lights up and we get to enjoy them.

    2. Are you counting the days to Christmas with excited anticipation or dread?
    I think many of us have mixed emotions at times. The dread for me is knowing that it will all be over in a blink of an eye. All the prep, decor, money, cooking and baking we do and then WALA! It's done. But the excitement for me is watching my grandbabies as they seem so excited. All of us being together, the laughter, the fun, games and well, seeing Christmas through the eyes of a child has surely been a blessing.

    3. When was the last time you had a photo taken with Santa?
    Around Thanksgiving I think it was. He was in our local Walmart and oh yes...I had to get my picture made with Santa. LOL!

    4. Do you make a Christmas list for your family or friends?
    Since I have three daughters, three soninloves, and six grandchildren I always asked them for ideas. It's been helpful in choosing gifts for them. Needless to say, Amazon Prime has been my best friend this year.

    What a fun time Miss Mary. So glad I could join in today. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the little image at the end, Ms. Mary....so very true! I was gonna answer some of the questions, but by the time I got ready to comment, I'd forgotten most of them...old age problems! ;-) HOPE you and Mr. D have a wonderful CHRIST-mas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!