Thursday, January 6, 2022

A Penny for Your Thoughts


My Mother used to ask this . . .

She always wanted to know what was in my thoughts.  I don't know why I was remembering that today, but I was.  So, I decided to look up the origin of that phrase.

Earliest Recorded Usage A "penny for your thoughts" is a phrase generally credited to a man by the name of John Heywood, who was born sometime just before the 16th century. During his life, he was a writer who penned many plays and a book in 1546, known as A dialogue containing the number in effect of all the proverbs in the English tongue.


A penny no longer is worth much, but the expression, much repeated over the years, survives nevertheless.


So here's a penny for your thoughts, a nickel for a kiss
A dime if you tell me that you love me


“A penny for your thoughts” is a historically popular idiom that’s used in everyday conversation to direct someone lost in thought back to a conversation or situation. It is used among family and friends, as well as in writing, in order to inquire into someone’s thoughts. Although the idiom was once quite popular today, it is less commonly heard among English speakers. It’s likely that the older parts of the population will be more family with it than the younger.

I can tell you one three things that's always in my thoughts . . .


Merica is visiting her Nana Jeana and learning to piece quilts.


I love Hazel's bluejean jacket.


Sweet Adalyn enjoyed her first Christmas.

The little ones in our lives bring such freshness to our world.

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord
Psalm 127:3a

Until Next Time



14 comments:

  1. We dont often hear that nowadays, and our grandchildren will not have much idea of the worth of a penny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those grandgirlies are so sweet. That jean jacket sure is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are blessed with such sweet little grandgirls...wonder where all the little boys went? Seems like that's all I can get, boys! I've even thought about adopting a little grandbaby girl just so I can have one to play with like you! So there, that's what you get for asking a penny for my thoughts! LOL. I enjoyed your post, and the story and the pictures so much. Blessings to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of our grands are boys and the great grands are girls!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Mary, our grands know they can't buy a thing with a penny. We tell them what we use to buy. I will still pick one up if I find one. A penny for good luck or a prayer. Cute pictures of your grands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, yes, to the little ones bring joy and hope. Yours are all adorable! Interesting info about the penny for your thoughts. Thanks for telling us what you found out!! Happy Friday!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious lil ones! Enjoyed this post.
    Blessings,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was really interesting and I appreciate you sharing it with us. I remember my Mom saying it to us kids all of the time. She was really interested too.
    Your grandgirls are so sweet. Merica will be a quiltmaker in no time. What cuties they are all. We will soon have three granddaughters and only one boy. We love them all to pieces.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Betsy, thanks for visiting today. Sending Blessings and Hugs back to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!